Monday, October 25, 2004

the reality of the corporate world...

Why must we play this crazy game?

A beautiful 58 year-old lady was made redundant today.
28 years she worked for the same company. Somewhat shy and a little eccentric, but oh so dedicated, despite being virtually ignored by the corporate fat cats, who "run" the company by spending afternoons on the golf course.

It seems that it never occurred to anyone that it would be difficult for this woman to find another job, especially after being loyal to one company for so long...and particularly after having her self-esteem, and trust squashed beyond recognition.

These same people who, in one breath were explaining to her that it was necessary because of "cut-backs", were, in the very next breath, asking us to organize a lunch for some hob-nob 2010 Olympics person, we are trying to schmooze. "Order something nice, perhaps a decent bottle of wine as well."

This place boasts about the sense of family in the company. About how the people pull together in a time of crisis. It's all lies.

I've always had major issues when these kind of things happen and I've always been up front in asking "WHY?"....the responses never vary:

"That's the reality of the coporate world! You have to learn to accept that!"
"It all comes down to money. If someone isn't proving their value, then out they go."

Again, I ask "WHY?"

Why must that be the reality?
Why is every business too gutless to change the "reality"?
Why does everyone claim to feel sad, but no-one with any power is willing to stand up and say, "This is not right!"

I WILL NEVER BE A PART OF THIS CORPORATE REALITY. I will never accept that this is the way it has to be. I will never cease to value a person on who they are, rather than by measuring them in financial terms.

I hear some say that this attitude means that I will never be succesful in the corporate world without changing my view. I can't understand why anyone would want to be successful in the kind of corporate world....oh yes, MONEY!

I admire Ms. B. She made me laugh with her wicked sense of humour.
She shared an office with two of the bitchiest, cattiest, low-self-esteem, must-prove-my-value-to-anyone-who-will-look-my-way middle-aged women I have ever met. She even had industrial ear-muffs which she would put on at times to just block them out. If she hasn't packed them, I'd like them so that I too can close off those repugnant bosses who complain because they get stuck in traffic, travelling from their luxurious West Vancouver homes.

Ms. B., I can only imagine how it must feel. I wish for you, that you are able to focus on this experience, not so much as betrayal, but as dumping those bastards off your back and regaining your freedom from the reality of the corporate world.

Everyone is capable of driving change...its just a matter of enough of us standing up and saying, "No, this kind of behaviour is unacceptable." It's the whole point of a union...to reality check the corporate world.