Tuesday, October 12, 2004

My Country

I hate the sunburn in this country
But the weather is just one thing I’d change
I hate what’s happening to this country
I’d change the politics and politicians
I’d change stupid redneck opinions
I resent the crappy public transport system
I’d change that too
I hate the waste when our resources are so few and precious
I hate the cringe factor of seeing other Aussies being so “Aussie” in other cultures

But 5 Qantas jumbo jets, stationary on the tarmac at LAX made me smile
Made a wave of comfort of the familiar sweep over me.
As amazing as thousand year old buildings are,
As beautiful as mountain peaks and rivers formed from melted snow are
This place, this country has something that I can find no where else
Put simply, it’s my home
It is familiar, but that’s not always bad

Australia is the comfortable feeling of sliding into my very own bed after travelling for a day and a half
Australia is where my very own piece of quiet solitude is
Australia is people understanding my accent
Australia is like going home to your family;
You may not necessarily like everything about it, but it somehow feels right.

This wide brown land for me!
My country