Thursday, October 21, 2004

non-locals need not apply...

I had an awesome conversation with a Vancouver friend today.

She had noted that I was the only friend she has, who did not grow up in Vancouver.
Furthermore, she expressed that it seems that Vancouver people in general, only hang out with Vancouver people...and that people who are from elsewhere (be it elsewhere in Canada, or overseas) tend to hang out with each other also, not with Vancouver born people.

This prompted me to do a mini-survey of all the people I have gotten to know since being here in Vancouver.

To qualify for counting in the survey, I need to have seen them on a social basis more than three times and have spent a decent amount of time (more than two hours) with them, by my own choice.

My personal tally (like the Olympic medal tally):

Japan 7
Calgary 3
Edmonton 2
Winnipeg 2
Halifax 2
Korea 2
Regina 1
Toronto 1
India 1
Phillipines 1
Vancouver 1
Unsure 1
Australia 0 (HA!)


To further investigate the matter, I did a survey of several people who I was in contact with today, all of whom did not grow up here. Of a total of six people I surveyed, only one had a close friend from Vancouver.

I am not done investigating this yet, but it is a little alarming that there seems to be two defined cultures in this city based on where you are from, and perhaps the two don't mix.

If I am completely wrong on this, please comment, because I'd love to know.

Vancouver people are very friendly, in that you can always find someone to help you out with directions, or start up mini-conversations with strangers, but long term aquaintences they are not...

Is it the same everywhere in the world?