Friday, December 10, 2004

A Rose by any other Name

Nicknames have always been part of my life. For as long as I can remember, my parents called me by a nickname. I often wondered why they bothered giving me a "proper" name at all.

In some cultures, nicknames are so entrenched that everyone has one. Usually due to a religious or superstitious reason. In some Australian Aboriginal cultures, nicknames are given to people who have the same name as someone who has died, as the names of the dead are forbidden to be spoken.

In western cultures, nicknames have a much less significant meaning. Many names have pet forms which are commonly used and over time have become names in their own right. Other nicknames may be given to people because of a particular physical characteristic. This is particularly evident in Australia, where redheads are called "bluey". Australian culture is also fond of taking one's surname an adding a "y" or "o" sound to the end.

Nicknames can identify you to your close circle of friends and family. They can tie people together, bring back memories, stir emotions.

They can also create a persona to perform with in public, allowing you to keep your private self private.

Nicknames may work for you your entire life, but sometimes sound less cool, less appealing when your death is written about all over the world.

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell