Thursday, November 18, 2004

A pocketful of hands...

As I wandered through chilly downtown Vancouver today, I noticed that I was walking along with one hand in my pocket, while my other hand was out in the cold.

This prompted me to do a brief survey of other people walking around, which is not an unusual activity for me!

Some observations:

- 99% of men had their hands in their pockets, and always their trouser pockets. Actually I only saw 1 man with his hands exposed, and he was carrying a box.

- Of the pocket dwelling men, around 90% had only one hand in a pocket, with the other exposed to the cold. What's up with that? Is one warm hand enough? Why must the other hand suffer while the other relaxes and probably takes a nap in the cosy trouser cavern?

- Only one woman had her hands in her pockets, and even then it was in her all-consuming puffy down jacket. Why is it that women do not put their hands in their pockets? My guess, most women's clothing does not provide the functionality of pockets, therefore even those who have pockets would not use them for the purpose of attached mittens.