Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Ah, The Opera

Ah, the opera! I love to sit back at the opera and play my two favourite games: Celebrity Spotting and Pashmina Count.
Tonight, there were approximately 3, 673 pashminas, shawls and wraps.
I spied cousin Barry Jones and I think Brian Toldme, or was it Mal Walden. I’m not sure. One of those older news readers from a station that I obviously don’t watch much.

The worst part about the opera is how slow the crowds move. But it’s understandable when you consider the average age of the audience.

I am comfortable going to a performance on my own, I just don’t like it when well-meaning people sit next to me and talk to me during interval. What I really don’t like about this is that they asked me questions about the opera and no matter what answer I give, I cannot make myself sound more cultured. I’m just an uneducated girl from small town Victoria.

Tonight’s effort was a couple to my right who asked what I thought of the show. To form the reply I drew on my extensive vocabulary of adjectives and said “it’s good, really good.” However, they were not to be deterred, they ploughed on, “do you know anyone in the show?” I repressed the immediate urge to say, fuck no, and said no, but taking their lead, asked them the same. Well, of course. Their daughter is the stage manager, their son-in-law in the chorus and the best man of the son-in-law also in the chorus. Naturally!