Sunday, December 26, 2004

In a different world...

Everything in this world fills me with wonder.

Snow on a motor mower in a snow covered back yard. A picture of banal urban life with frosting.

I went for a walk with my friend last night. The snowflakes fell down around us, and we made fresh tracks in untouched snow on the ground. It was like one of those television moments where the young, single woman has just had a heart connection with a new beau, and walks home as the snowflakes fall around her...a moment that makes you smile and fills your heart with warmth.

It occurred to me afresh that travel is not so much about the place you go, or the money you pay in the tourist queue, or even the journey itself. It's about wonder in the everyday things, breathing in cold night air, taking a walk and observing everyday life in the suburbs of a city that is not your own. It's about making a heart connection with someone, being invited to participate in someone's life that is different from your own, spending time with other human beings.

When I return home, I want to take wonder in things that I never paid attention to before, about myself, my environment and the world in which I live. I want to make an effort to connect with others and help them see the wonder in their own lives.

There are no empty vessels here, just people who can not see, hear, taste, smell and touch the wonder of their lives.